Living in our high desert climate in Santa Fe, factored with an ongoing drought, high water costs, and increasing concern over environmental impact of human existence, the need to emphasize sustainable landscaping is more important than ever.
Sustainable landscaping is defined as a landscape management program that has developed in response to environmental issues that focuses on reducing waste and environmental impact.
As any commercial property owner or manager knows, maintaining landscaping is a considerable expense. However, costs can easily be minimized by converting to a more xeric, sustainable landscape, without sacrificing aesthetic appeal.
Sustainable landscaping solutions include:
1. Emphasis on native plants or drought tolerant plants
2. Water reuse, such as storm water via rain water catchment systems, bioswales or green roofs.
3. Irrigation audits to identify areas where water could be saved or areas of inefficient water use.
4. Grey water reuse systems
5. Recycling of green waste and composting for reuse to fertilize
6. Solar powered landscape lighting
7. Reduction of turf areas and/or conversion to hardscaping and gravel.
All Aspen Trees Best Vines For Santa Fe Cacti Commercial Landscaping Commercial Properties Diy Drought Tolerant Plants Flowering Vines Flowers Flowers For Santa Fe Flowers In New Mexico Gravel Hardscaping Home Plant Decor Irrigation Landscaping Tips Perennials Ph Testing Residential Landscaping Rock Garden Santa Fe Landscaping Soil Testing Solar Lighting Spring Succulents Sustainable Landscaping Tent Caterpillars Vines Water Saving Tips Water Sensor Xeric Yucca