The interest and focus on drought tolerant, xeric plants has been greatly increasing in the past few years given the drought concerns in the U.S west coast and southwest regions. Santa Fe, New Mexico has a particularly unique climate given our high altitude location and relatively cold winters for a desert region. Therefore, knowing which cacti and succulents thrive best in our area can be challenging.
A great thing about cacti and succulents? Their ability to survive with very little water. We always recommend watering new plants in order to let them get established, however cacti and succulents can usually be weaned quite easily from irrigation.
Ditch the lawn! Cacti and succulents can also be used to create lovely gardens with a base of gravel and decorative accent rocks.
Here are some of our favorite high altitude cacti and succulents for Santa Fe, NM.
1. Ice Plant - these hardy, flowering perennials create a lovely ground cover that is very tolerant to cold and drought conditions. Ice plants are an excellent option for rock gardens.
The landscaping at a commercial property is one of the first things that clients notice. First impressions are important, and walk-in traffic from potential clients driving past your business can often depend on this first impression. Today we are sharing why your business needs commercial landscaping.
1. Experienced landscaping companies are able to create attractive new landscape plans and recommend ways to enhance your "curb appeal". Benches, decorative boulders, water features, walkways, flower beds, potted plants and new mulch or gravel are all excellent ways to enhance the landscape.
2. Having a professional commercial landscaping company managing your property will protect you from potential legal issues related to clients tripping on hazards or overgrown weeds and roots, or injured by falling dead branches from trees. Keeping sidewalks and parking lots clear of hazards is something a good commercial landscaping company will ensure.
Automated irrigation systems are common place for both commercial and residential properties. Although they are convenient and efficient, and watering times can be adjusted with timers, these systems do not take into account daily fluctuations in rain. The last few years in Santa Fe the drought has felt severe, yet, this summer season we were blessed with regular rain that was appreciated by avid gardeners and trees alike!
Water sensors can be installed to monitor moisture levels, ensuring that your irrigation system does not activate when there is already sufficient soil moisture (aka a "rainy day"). These smart-system water sensors are a great choice for Santa Fe, where monsoons are unpredictable and water is a precious resource. Contact us today and one of our licensed irrigation technicians can discuss with you how implementing a water sensor at your home or business can save you water and money.
COMMERCIAL LANDSCAPING: TIPS FOR SAVING ON WATER COSTS AND REDUCING WATER USAGE BY 25-55%
For large commercial properties, water costs can be a large part of the budget, particularly in the late spring, summer and early fall. It is important to review your water usage through a thorough irrigation audit, as well as assess the current type of landscaping. A water-efficient, sustainable landscape can reduce water use by 25-55%.
- Place plants with similar water needs together for more efficient use of water
- Use plants that are native to the region. Once they are established, they will require little to no water.
- Apply a ground cover over planter beds, such as gravel or mulch to help retain water and help prevent water-consuming weeds from cropping up.
- Convert turf areas to synthetic lawn or gravel, or choose a grass type that requires less water. Buffalo or Bermuda grass need 20% less water than other species.
Living in our high desert climate in Santa Fe, factored with an ongoing drought, high water costs, and increasing concern over environmental impact of human existence, the need to emphasize sustainable landscaping is more important than ever.
Sustainable landscaping is defined as a landscape management program that has developed in response to environmental issues that focuses on reducing waste and environmental impact.
As any commercial property owner or manager knows, maintaining landscaping is a considerable expense. However, costs can easily be minimized by converting to a more xeric, sustainable landscape, without sacrificing aesthetic appeal.
Sustainable landscaping solutions include:
We love these traditional cottage garden flowers for Santa Fe gardens! These tall, beautiful flowers look great against fences, gates or the side of your home. The ygrow easily from a seed and do very well in our unique Santa Fe climate. The red and pink varieties are attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies.
Although Hollyhocks are considered short lived perennials, living only 2 or 3 years, they continually reseed themselves, allowing you to enjoy them for many years. In the late fall, it is best to cut them back. These flowers also benefit from mulching.
All Aspen Trees Best Vines For Santa Fe Cacti Commercial Landscaping Commercial Properties Diy Drought Tolerant Plants Flowering Vines Flowers Flowers For Santa Fe Flowers In New Mexico Gravel Hardscaping Home Plant Decor Irrigation Landscaping Tips Perennials Ph Testing Residential Landscaping Rock Garden Santa Fe Landscaping Soil Testing Solar Lighting Spring Succulents Sustainable Landscaping Tent Caterpillars Vines Water Saving Tips Water Sensor Xeric Yucca