May Landscaping Tips
Are you ready for Spring?
ESSENTIAL MAY LANDSCAPING TIPS:
• The first week in May is typically considered the first week where it is safe to plant annuals in Santa Fe. When planting annuals, loosen up the roots to encourage stronger growth.
• Now is the time to activate your irrigation systems. Make sure to run the system and all zones to check for any issues or leaks, and program controllers.... Consider upgrading to a more efficient system if necessary
• Very good time to transplant trees & shrubs
• Use horticultural oil for fruit trees, ornamental trees and shrubs as it can eliminate the need for pesticides later in the season
• Now is the best time to address weeds in your planter beds. All weeds should be removed, including their root systems, so that they do not come back. It is easier to remove weeds at this time of year as they have not yet had a chance to develop robust root systems and release their seeds.
• Start planting your perennials now. This is also a good time to divide and replant your perennials.
• Remember to water newly installed plant material thoroughly
• Clean or rake your planter beds and then replenish or replace mulch around trees, shrubs & planter beds to a depth of approximately 3”. Mulch is important for our dry climate as it assists in retention of moisture. Mulch also helps prevent weeds from growing back.
• Fertilize blooming bulbs
• Continue light pruning of any dead, broken or diseased branches
• Consider testing the pH of your soil. Inexpensive kits can be purchased online or from garden stores. Testing now will give you plenty of time to make adjustments if necessary.
• Worms on Aspens trees are almost impossible to prevent. Take a photo of the worm and bring it into your local nursery. They can direct you to the best insecticide to treat the issue.
Leave a Reply.
All Aspen Trees Best Vines For Santa Fe Cacti Commercial Landscaping Commercial Properties Diy Drought Tolerant Plants Flowering Vines Flowers Flowers For Santa Fe Flowers In New Mexico Gravel Hardscaping Home Plant Decor Irrigation Landscaping Tips Perennials Ph Testing Residential Landscaping Rock Garden Santa Fe Landscaping Soil Testing Solar Lighting Spring Succulents Sustainable Landscaping Tent Caterpillars Vines Water Saving Tips Water Sensor Xeric Yucca