Sustainable landscaping is defined as a landscape management program that has developed in response to environmental issues that focuses on reducing waste and environmental impact.
As any commercial property owner or manager knows, maintaining landscaping is a considerable expense. However, costs can easily be minimized by converting to a more xeric, sustainable landscape, without sacrificing aesthetic appeal.
Sustainable landscaping solutions include:
1. Emphasis on native plants or drought tolerant plants
2. Water reuse, such as storm water via rain water catchment systems, bioswales or green roofs.
3. Irrigation audits to identify areas where water could be saved or areas of inefficient water use.
4. Grey water reuse systems
5. Recycling of green waste and composting for reuse to fertilize
6. Solar powered landscape lighting
7. Reduction of turf areas and/or conversion to hardscaping and gravel.